Zoom – The Basics for Meeting Attendees
Zoom is a popular video conferencing service that is used to facilitate virtual meetings and runs across mobile devices, desktops, and telephones.
For those new to Zoom, the hyperlink below will take you to the YouTube video “How to Join a Zoom Meeting for the First Time.” This 11-minute video provides a quick overview of Zoom including what is needed to get started and what to expect when joining a meeting for the first time.
- On a Windows 10 or Apple Computer
Go to https://zoom.us/download and click on the Download button under Zoom Client for Meetings
Click on Run or Allow if/when permission is requested to download Zoom
- Select Continue to proceed if/when given the option
- Zoom application will open automatically when installation is completed
- Double click the download file pkg
- Click Continue proceed through the installation process and select install when given the option
2. On a Mobile Device
Open the Google Play Store on an Android device or the App Store on an Apple device
Search for Zoom Cloud Meetings, tap GET/Install and enter your Apple ID or Google Account password to proceed with the install.
Go to https://techcoaches.ca/toolbox-zoom for helpful video tutorials on installing and using Zoom on mobile devices.
Please note that a ZOOM account is not required if you will only be joining meetings as an attendee/participant.
Joining a Zoom Meeting
Open the email invitation sent from the meeting host and click/tap on the hyperlink provided under Join Zoom Meeting.
On a computer, a new page will open automatically. Click Allow to open the Zoom app.
On a mobile device you will automatically be brought to the Zoom App.
You will see a notice asking you to wait if the host has not yet started the meeting.
Getting Familiar with Zoom
Icon located in the upper right corner of the meeting window (upper left corner of iPad screen)
- Full Screen – will maximize the Zoom application on your screen
- Gallery View – will tile all participants’ videos equally on the screen
- Speaker View – will show only the active speaker on the screen
Attendee Meeting Controls
Click on the hyperlink below to review Zoom features that attendees can access and where the controls appear on the screen for both desktop computers and mobile devices.
Please note that the microphones of all attendees at MCC bi-weekly meetings will be automatically muted to help minimize background noise during presentations.
Some features such as “record meetings” and “non-verbal feedback icons” may require Host permission.
TIPS / Meeting Etiquette
- Please join the meeting at least 10 min before the scheduled start time and ensure both your video and audio devices are working properly
- Ensure your microphone remains muted during presentations.
- When your microphone is not muted, avoid activities that could create additional noise such as shuffling papers.
- If using a web camera be sure it is in a stable position and focused at eye level if possible.
- Limit distractions by turning off notifications, closing or minimizing running apps, and muting your smartphone.
- To raise a question, click on Chat in meeting controls, type your question, and address it to the meeting co-host. Questions will be moderated and answered following the presentation(s).
Need Additional Help?
Check out the Zoom Help Centre guides and video tutorials at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us